Re: Debian Edu: new scientific package

>I remembered, but I must say that I can't quite grasp what this program can
>do...., so I did not answer your first mail .... Sorry

Although completely different, GAMGI is inspired
in programs as InsightII and Cerius2:

http://www.accelrys.com/insight/
http://www.accelrys.com/cerius2/

which I used extensively during my PhD. The company
developing this software is for scientific atomistic
modelling software what M$ is for general desktop software.

InsightII and Cerius are both: 1) applications to build, view and analyse
atomic structures and also 2) a platform to launch a wide range of standalone
applications covering many atomistic modelling topics, such as
Ab-initio calculations and Molecular Dynamics simulations,
Lattice Dynamics, applications to calculate electronic properties
in solids, Monte Carlo techniques etc...

At least at this stage I am only interested in the first part:
I don't think it is a good ideia to integrate this kind of
graphic interface with external standalone programs. <rant>They do
it because it helps to obfuscate their stuff and get more money
from researchers worldwide</rant>.

>The debian-edu project is getting quite huge, and we try to include as few
>custom packages as possible. To even be considered as a potential program for
>debian-edu, the program must be in debian mainstream. How to get inside
>debian, I can't tell you, but I'll bet someone else on this list can give you
>a point in the right direction.

I didn't know that, I will try to find who shall I contact.
Thanks for your answer,

regards,
Carlos