Re: Sound on thin clients ?

Gavin McCullagh skrev:

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Ragnar Wisloff wrote:

| No idea. I assume this will depend on the quality on the sound. My mp3s
| stream at around 128 kbits/sec.

128Kbit while streamed through NAS? Sounds very unlikely.
How informed a comment.

In fairness, he has a point.  Chances are you need to multiply that figure
by ten.

Perhaps, I just did not see a point, just an offhand and valueless comment.

mp3s are compressed files that must be rendered by a software player into
raw audio (that bear a closer resemblance to WAV format which is 1MB per
minute) for the sound card.  This situation is one of the player on the
server rendering and sending that raw audio to a sound daemon/card at the
other end.

Now, *that* is an informed and valid comment.

Perhaps someone could test this in some scale and report some figures? In the instances I know of where sound has been utilised, the admin has not made any statements about the network usage. So this is a white spot.

--
Med vennlig hilsen
Ragnar Wisløff