Re: Sound on thin clients ?

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Ralf Gesel|ensetter wrote:

> thank you for the hint (-> plone, howto?)

don't know of a skolelinux specific one but these might be of general help.

http://linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/4472/4/
http://www.ltsp.org/ltsp_sound_docs.txt
http://www.knuthaugen.no/linux/ltsp/
http://www.bravegnuworld.com/~rjune/ltsp/audio/HOWTO-arts.html
http://radscan.com/nas.html

> - any idea what bandwidth one must consider?

I think you can tune the sample rate but you're talking about RAW sound so
a lot.

> I assume sound is rendered on the ltsp server, worst case in cd quality
> ( > 1 MBit/s)?

If you can tune the sample rate that should help.  I would have thought
that at least.  It should be sound card independent.

> Is NX going to compress audio stream as well?

No idea.  Mind you, this quote suggests it....

http://www.nomachine.com/news_read.php?idnews=124

NX Server and Client 1.4.0 S 66/43 Snapshot
2004-08-07

Known Problems

    * Audio forwarding and printing have not been regression-tested on all
      platforms and may not work in this snapshot.

Gavin