Re: NX packages [and looking for a sponsor]

On Monday 23 August 2004 09:51, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Aug 2004, Peter Rockai (mornfall) wrote:
> > I was asked to write to this list, because supposedly someone of the
> > Skolelinux crew is working on NX packaging. So i would like to point you
> > at the ITP filed on nx (#255850) and the packages available in the
> > repository:
> >
> > deb http://www.kalyxo.org/debian/ experimental main
> > deb-src http://www.kalyxo.org/debian/ experimental main
> >
> > You can of course get the source as well. The packages were done in an
> > FHS compliant way and were tested on several machines. They however
> > contain no nxserver or nxclient as of now, but i'll be working with
> > Fabian Franz and Joseph Wenninger on integrating FreeNX and kNX stuff
> > with them. I'll send an update when there's something new.
>
> Many thanks for this information.  I also think that this while very
> interesting for debian-edu in special also an issue on debian-devel.  BTW,
> the URL above contains more interesting packages.  Do you have trouble
> finding a sponsor for these packages or are there other reasons why they
> stay outside Debian? I would really hate if finding a sponsor would holding
> back NX from entering Debian.  Perhaps it would be a good idea to think
> about moving the existing packages to debian experimental.  This would have
> the following advantages:
>
>    1) Sponsoring procedure would be established.
>    2) Packages would enter the override file which needs about 1-2 weeks
> for new packages
>    3) Would attract more developers to help
Thinking of this, i think i am prepared to take this next step (upload to
debian experimental). This means i'm now looking for a sponsor. Please do not
upload the current version, i'm working on an update, which will also contain
nxviewer and nxdesktop, which means 2 new packages and i'll probably move
tunnel scripts into an own source package.

As for the GPL nxserver (freenx) and nxclient (knx) components, if everything
goes well, i should have the packages ready and publishable this week. They
will be in separate source packages, too.

> Kind regards
>
>          Andreas.

Yours,
    Peter

PS: Sorry for crossposting. Also please keep me in CC for replies addressed at
me (i don't read lists that often).

--
Peter Rockai (mornfall), mornfall()logisys!dyndns!org, mornfall.homeip.net
He says gods like to see an atheist around. Gives them something to aim at.