Re: localization-config uploaded (former locale-config-skolelinux)

On Δευ 16 Αυγ 2004 14:47, Christian Perrier wrote:
> These two locales are here because one most often uses the
> ISO-8859-1 charset and the other one used ISO-8859-15.

Ok, this one i knew so far.

> Keeping these locales is indeed only a matter of backward
> compatibility...and I'm even not sure this makes sense.

Ok, now I'm confused, which one is kept for backwards compatibility,
or to put it differently, which should be the default, the "@euro" or
the sans-"@euro"?

> They may make sense for countries in transition towards the Euro
> currency such as those which will maybe switch in the future years
> (recent "new" EU countries or maybe, let's dream, Denmark, Sweden
> or United Kingdom.....in the latter case, this may happen when I
> reach my 100th birthday)
>
> IMHO, for countries currently using the Euro currency, these @euro
> variants do not make sense anymore, even for those which mostly use
> the Latin-1/Latin-9 charsets.

So, should I remove the @euro extension from the locales?
Forgive my persistense, but I can't really understand the use of a
@euro or even a new encoding, if noone is using it.
Hm, perhaps there should be a transition plan to move everything to
UTF-8 :-)

Konstantinos