Re: first semi-working sarge debian-edu CD

Am Donnerstag 10 Juni 2004 20:34 schrieb Joey Hess:
> The image is available using ftp, but please use rsync if you can to
> save bandwidth. It is updated twice a day.
> ftp://developer.skolelinux.no/cd-sarge/sarge-i386-1.raw

Hey Joey ;)

This sounds really interesting, however sarge seems to be of special
interest to the workstations (and LTSP, of course). Could one get the
same result by changing the sources in /etc/apt and upgrading (dsl
provided)?

The idea of having all three types of profiles on one CD is ingenious -
but now we seem to reach a point where it could become a "brake" to
further development. Especially for the workstations these aims seem
desireable:

(1) Install _all_ you possibly ever need out from the box (otherwise
your installations would get asynchronous, or you need a central tool
to "mirror" all settings, apt-get installments and upgrades to keep
work stations par (or use net drive as /:)

(2) Have centralized administration of the desktop / kmenu.

(3) Maybe instead of moving around with your installing CD, there could
be an central installation server that has the common package settings
and can be accessed after initial bootstrap is installed (no local CD
drive necessary).

What do you think? Should we put these ideas on the wishlist in
bugzilla?

Greetings
Ralf G.