Installation report RC-3 (incl. problems)

Dear List,

after I happened to corrupt the /var partition by trying to resize it while
mounted, we were to reinstall our tjener (cf. thread: "Help: Login failure),
as the only path that was not backed up by default was the /var path
(including /var/ldap)

The new splash image is great - intuitively I had to check not to sit in frint
of some C64:). First run went through smoothly (de_DE), after Reboot all
packages were installed. (The prompt for entering root password and
reentering CD was in English, however).

There was one error that was supposed to be submitted to bugzilla - at this
state it is quite hard to export messages, but it was like this:

install-error: .76debian-edu-config: failed to run update-locale-config
(lang='').

Apparently the locale environment variable has not been set correctly.

Then I went to our ltspserver and logged in as root locally (KDE). Within
konqueror, I tried to add the ltsp to netgroups using webmin.
Authentification succeeded, but when I tried to open the link "edit hosts in
netgroups" this ERROR was displayed in the browser:

Error
Server:ldap

Now I turned back to tjener and tried the same using lynx on
https://localhost:10000. Sam result. Trying to enter user administration gave
the message:

"Unable to connect to LDAP server on host "ldap": Invalid argument
at /usr/share/webmin/ldapusers/ldapusers.pl line 42"

Odd enough, at this point I could not even open google in lynx (which had been
possible few moments before), so I decided to reboot tjener (and lstp once
again, too):

After reboot, I managed to add the ltsp to netgroup (apparantly, there must be
a second reboot after installation!) - and I think having added a user within
lynx/webmin, as well. However, trying to login from a thin client gave the
same old "login failed" command.

There is a chance, that I failed to do the final confirm within lynx - I had
to leave as the school was locked up. I will get you up to date.

If there is anything that strikes you, please let me know - and if, again,
there are somebody online at IRC tomorrow morning (like 8 a.m.), that would
be great.

Thank you
regards
Ralf

P.S.: I hope we don't have to setup ltsp with RC-3 to work with our
reinstalled tjener?

P.P.S.: Hasn't there been any discussions about an expert mode with setup? I
reckon 500MB way too few for .../home0 considering there is plenty of space
left on our disk. Howabout editing suggested sizing or having a frontend to
LVM resize?