Re: administrating samba

On Sun, May 30, 2004 at 12:51:41PM +0200, Frank Weißer wrote:
> Hi Finn-Arne, hi folks!
> <zitiere wer="Finn-Arne Johansen">
> > On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 03:23:31PM +0200, Frank Weißer wrote:
> >> Now, must i have created an account "smbadmin" with wlus before doing so?
> > no - samba-debian-edu-admin does this.
> So, what password does samba-debian-edu-admin give smbadmin? I've got a
> problem adding users with wlus 1.3-7 (see: problem creating user(s) with wlus
> 1.3-7), refering to smbpasswd -w .

But that is not a password you should use, unless you are using the
smbadmin to talk to the ldap, which you shouldn't. The password you
should be asking for is the password for the "samba root account".

Previously it was the same as the password you give the root account
when you install the system.

On later systems (installed from Daily CD from after May 23), and from
is is not set. you have to set it manually, by using the command line:
 smbpasswd root

Please set this to something else than the admin password, as you may
need to give this password away to others when they need to join the
samba domain.

--
Finn-Arne Johansen
faj@bzz.no