Re: mozilla, j2re1.4, Request for Test

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 10:41:27PM +0200, Finn-Arne Johansen wrote:
> As many of you may have noticed, I've created a backport of Mozilla
> that actually works on Woody.
> To test the packages, add the following to your sources.list:
>  deb http://ftp.skolelinux.no/ ~finnarne/mozilla/
> then
>  apt-get update && apt-get install mozilla j2re1.4

Now mozilla-1.5 is on the CD, ready to be installed by
  apt-get install mozilla

but mozilla 1.6 entered testing, and since I want to stay current with
testing, I did a new backport of mozilla 1.6

It is availible from
 deb http://ftp.skolelinux.no/ ~finnarne/mozilla/

Follow procedure as above to test, and please give me feedback if the
install, or the version dosn' twork as expected.

> You may even install the localisation packages for mozilla
>  apt-get install mozilla-locale-xx

I'm not quite sure if they are on the CD, I'll check on the new build I
just installed.

> replace xx with you locale, use
>   apt-cache search mozilla-locale
> to locate the different languages availible
>
> No why all the work about mozilla ?
>
> Well, the feedback I'm getting is that it's mozilla that works best
> with classfronter. Maybe konqueror in kde 3.2 works fine as well, but
> that is a bigger task to take on, upgrading kde.
> But We want to release Skolelinux before sarge stabilizes, so please
> test and give feedback.
> And Yes, If I get a response from the blackdown project, I will
> incorporate their j2re1.4 if it's possible.

No, no response yet :(

But I wonder. Have anyone gotten j2re1.4 to work with opera or
konqueror ? I have not, but I have not put much effort in that task.

Also. since all we had was mozilla 1.0 which failed heavily on some
websites, Opera is installed as default. Well, some tells me that Opera
doesn't work properly on www.fronter.com and others. Also, Opera _is_
closed source, and although they are friendly to somehow listen to our
problems, There is still problems. And it will keep causing trouble
when we enter sarge. That is why I propose to replace opera with
mozilla to be installed by the workstation-task, and the
standalone-task. Most sysadm's on the schools tend to install mozilla
anyhow.
I Also propose to replace j2re1.3 with j2re1.4.

Kind of late, since we already is past rc2, but this is changes that
will ease the transition to sarge.

--
Finn-Arne Johansen
faj@bzz.no