Re: Changing the boot logo in debian-edu

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> I've tried (and succeded) to replace the boot logo used on the
> skolelinux / debian-edu CD.  I was able to replace it, but it do not
> look to good.  I suspect this is related to the warning message
> reported when converting from PNG to SLL16:
>
>   /usr/bin/ppmtolss16: Warning: color palette truncated (38 colors ignored)
>   158080 pixels, 2257 bytes, (97.14% compression)
>
> The current image is available from
> <URL:http://developer.skolelinux.no/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/skolelinux/src/debian-cd/data/woody/splash-skolelinux.png>.
>
> Do any of you know how the image must look to look good as a boot
> splash screen?  Is there only 16 colors available?  What should the
> background color be?  I'm not sure why the displayed splash screen is
> all red, with the edges of a debian logo lookalike in the middle of he
> screen.  Anyone know more?

The image must be 640x480 or smaller, and syslinux needs some blank
space at the bottom for text messages. The color pallette is limited to
16 colors; of these one must be usable for the foreground color of
text, and one for the background color. You can try to reduce your image
to 16 colors, but it's hard to do it without making the dithering look
bad, at least that was my experience with the d-i logo; people who know
the gimp well did much better than my attempts.

--
see shy jo