Re: default file system?

tirsdag 11. mai 2004, 23:29, skrev Petter Reinholdtsen:
> [Andreas Schuldei]
>
> > what are our criteria? reliability is certainly high up on the list,
> > but speed and low cpu usage are important, too.
>
> Actually, performance was not considered when selecting default file
> system.  Here are some of the factors I considered:
..

I don't think this is the thing to change in Skolelinux right now.
These things have been known for a long time, so it'd be odd if interest
caught up now.

Later, perhaps.
Personally, I'd like to see how Reiser4 fares, as it promises even better
speed and has full crash recovery. (Build new directory tree from file
information only.) Reiser4 is also a revised version of Reiserfs (v3) where
they've changed some tree algoritms and so on, but it's not a full rebuild.
Right now, it undergoes the kind of meticulous testing Reiser3 didn't (which
gave it a bad first impression), then it's time for acceptance into the main
kernel.

If a disk with Reiserfs crashes now, data recovery could prove difficult.
Other journalling systems like XFS and JFS has less history with the Linux
kernel than Reiser3 has, and show more bugs.

Some have also talked about distributed filesystems, like AFS. Could be great
too, but later.

Harald