Re: Vantaa school council meeting

[Kai Hendry]
> As mentioned on IRC I had a meeting with a school representative
> administering more then 5000 machines in the Vantaa area.

Very interesting. :)

> I have lots to write up about it, however the main point is that
> they wanted to leverage their 100mbit (and gigabit) networks and
> centralise everything. Then they are keen to outsource the services.

Sounds reasonable.  Central administration is one of the main
advantages of debian-edu/Skolelinux.  But one should be careful when
deciding which services should be running locally, and which should be
running from a central location.  It is not always sensible to gather
big bandwidth spenders at a central place, when it is more sensible to
place them locally, and administrate them from remote.

> Their architecture:
> http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/hendry/temp/skolelinux/Scan001.PDF
> Looks terrible in gv, and I can't rotate it nicely with convert.

This did not make sense to me.

> Lastly, does anyone have any experience of migrating Active
> Directory to some opensource equivalent e.g. slapd? Has it been
> done?

No idea.  But I believe someone did some migration from Novel Netware
to Skolelinux.  Not sure about the details.