WLUS 1.2-17 is out

a new version with a couple of changes is there:

  * fix dependency syntax in debian/control
  * add feature to fix_ldif to add the default authority groups by default
         (controllable by a commandline switch)
  * update fix_ldif to check for attic and add it if missing
  * fixed a problem with user deletion; the last user never was deleted
         for some reason.
  * change user deletion: now old users are moved to the attic.
         this is a solution to the problem when new users are created with
         the same username as a given old one. Then problems arise with
         the homedirectories which allready existed etc. This helps to
         avoid these login names, since the old ones are taken into account.
  * try to switch off nscd when creating users and on again afterwards

the biggest change is probatly the Attic; it was necessary to
make user creation and login name creation truely robust. This
makes sure that we do not hand out the same login (and also
mailaddress etc) double.

while beeing the biggest change, no user will ever notice it. (c:
it is the attic for a reason, after all.

for users with existing ldap databases the upgrade path (using
the "upgrade_ldap_backend" was paved better. it should now
resemble a nice and well marked road. we even have a manpage now!

now i notice that users might even wish of instructions on how to
recreate their old database once the conversion was done. but
that has to wait for the next version. tell me how you like the
manpage so far. ...and the rest, for that matter.

As usual, i uploaded the new version to the woody repository on
ftp.skolelinux.no.

To use it you have to put this into your sources.list file:

deb http://ftp.skolelinux.no/skolelinux woody local

then do as root:

apt-get update
apt-get install webmin-ldap-user-simple