Re: About metapackages

Le Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 12:07:39AM +0200, Harald Thingelstad écrivait:
> > Keywords.
>
> There's so much variation on the topic of which software to put in what
> category, I think we should drop the whole idea. This is not
> debian-junior, the requirements are different, and I think pretty much
> any preselection wouldn't be used for more than ideas, or suggested
> software if you want it that way.

Well, customized CD for local installation doesn't mean we can't create
metapackages. But you may be right ine one point: we shouldn't put too
much effort in the metapackages. That differenciation by level is too
much and too imprecise to be created by us.

However we must keep some metapackages because it is our list of
recommended software, we should carefully select them and invest some
time in improving them (mainly i18n and l10n to make them useful in as
many countries as possible).

If we need an easy way to install packages based on level and domains,
we'll have to write a little program much like tasksel.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog -+- http://www.ouaza.com