Hello, introducing myself.

Hello everybody.

After reading raphael announcement, I've decided to subscribe the list, and
as many of you did, I will introduce myself.

My name is Laurent COOPER. I'm using linux for almost five years, and debian
for three years. I'm a teacher in france, and I also work on the SLIS project
in Lyon (slis is an gnu/linux gateway firewall, with automatic update, based
on a redhat :-( distribution )

I'm very interested by a debian edu project. In france, linux has almost won
the game in education for servers. But not for the desktop. We need good
education softwares, with easy install and GOOD documentation to have a place
on the desktop.

I think that a complete education offer should contains the following
products :

*A firewall gateway in order for the school to access internet, with web
server. (something like the SLIS, but debian fashioned)

*A fileserver, for windows and linux client (The samba edu project seems to
become very mature for version 3), and also print server.

*A virtual cdrom server (documentation center always have a lot of CD that
are not used, because of  lack of employees that do not permit them to be
accessible). SLCD project, based on mandrake, do this pretty good.

*A linux station, with easy install and parametrable install (à la
kickstart). Debian Education from logidee (thanks Raphael) is a first step,
but not fully satisfying.

* A X and application server to run ...

* Linux X terminals.

Everything should be thougt as modular, because some school have lots of
money and machine,, so they can afford a gateway, a file server, a cdrom
tower, while others will have just one good machine on wich to put the
gateway, the file server...

Everything should have a simple administration interface and VERY easy
installation procedures. In France, the network maintenance is sometimes
(often?) done by people who hardly understand "windows for the dummies".
Just one example. There is a bug in partimage-server for woody. Postinst
script containt a chmod for /var/run/partimaged which is an inexistant file.
I did just comment that, and installation worked perfectly.  Someone who
hardly understant how to edit "autoexec.bat" with the notepad.exe can't do
that alone. Install must be _Hard rock bug free_.

Evrything up there is a personnal opinion. You're advice would be appreciated.

Have a nice day

Laurent
--
Debian powered computer