Re: Meta Packages

[Phil Cowans]
> Having looked at the Wiki, I'd like to suggest that rather than
> using the current set of meta packages, one is chosen which more
> closely reflects the division of subjects traditionally used in
> schools.

The problem with this is that school systems in different have
different division of studens, and different names for the student
level.

[Raphael Hertzog]
> I'd like to have relatively fine-grained metapackages,

In Skolelinux we decided not to use fine-grained package grouping,
because we want our distribution to be easily installable by teachers
without much knowledge of computing.  We have three package profiles;
Server, Workstation and LTSP-server.  The Workstation profile contains
every package we supply for all languages, and all school levels.  We
are on the other hand working on a system to make the KDE menu vary
depending on the student level, with a very simple one on the first
levels, and inserting more and more programs in the later levels.