OPSI integration in Skolelinux

Hi there,

recently there has been a discussion on this list about integration of OPSI (centralized Windows system management software, http://opsi.org) with Skolelinux (or was it the German list?).

We stumbled over a problem in OPSI that leads to incompatibility with Skolelinux's default DNS setup:
https://forum.opsi.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2222&p=11048&hilit=Skolelinux#p11048

Now that Debian Edu squeeze has implemented another DNS setup than Debian Edu lenny (subdomains for LTSP subnets) we here in Kiel have a raw concept howto install OPSI with Skole without changing Skole's DNS setup:

 o setup a Skolelinux terminal server ltspserverXY.intern
 o Windows clients will be wired into the subnetXY.intern cascaded after
   ltspserverXY.internal. Thus, windows clients can also be potential LTSP
   clients in the subnetXY.intern.

   -> This will then be compliant with DNS setup expecations of OPSI

 o setup OPSI on the terminalserver (todo: integrating OPSI dhcpd/tftpd with
   the LTSP thinclient bootstrap)
o use iptables on the terminalserver (MASQ) to allow Windows clients to access
   CIFS/SMB shares on TJENER, maybe also using WINS server support

This still will be a bunch of work that we will of course document in the Debian wiki the first time we have to do this for a customer's network.

The main advantages are:

  o Windows clients are not in the 10.0.2.0/23 network, they are behind a
    second firewall (iptables on ltspserverXY.intern)
  o no Skolelinux DNS setup adaptations for OPSI resp. no DNS patches needed
    for OPSI (which is rather impossible with the current OPSI version
    anyway...)

Maybe this is of help to others...

Greets,
Mike

--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
mike gabriel, dorfstr. 27, 24245 barmissen

GnuPG Key ID 0xB588399B

freeBusy: