Re: [Devel] printer accounting

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 08:57:07AM +0100, Sven Tore Iversen wrote:
> > If you mean just accounting - counting the pages based on
> > user, then there is a crude mechanism where CUPS prints a log
> > to /var/log/cups/page.log. However, that file is all. You
> > will have to parse it and make reports. Not a big job, but
> > nobody has done it yet.
>
> Somebody has done it :)
> I've found this nice script for parsing the log file.
> It reports the quite good stats per user/printer/time.
>
> GPL license
>
> http://iversendata.no/skolelinux/PrintAnalyzer.pl.txt

But you can't controll the printer with this, if you need things like
pre paid, user based print quotas, etc.

> I'm also using a very simple script to count the num lines in the logfile,
> and report the number to MRTG.
>
> The problem with this, for my part, is that many of the printjobs comes from
> windows (SMB|RAW printing), so the logfile reports all jobs as one page
> only.

you should install postscript-drivers on the windows site and disablbe
RAW-printing.

Gruss
Grisu
--
Michael Bramer  -- http://www.feuerwehr.kreuzau.de/wiki/
"I predict that Linux will kick major butt" -- Sean Gallager, Information Week