Re: [Debian-NYC] workshop #1 script

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 02:19:59PM -0400, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> Hi Kevin--
>
> On 10/30/2009 01:42 PM, Kevin Mark wrote:
> > I wrote this script based upon the first workshop, I tried it on Ubuntu Jaunty.
> > Could someone check if it runs on Debian?
>
> What O/S have you tested it on?  which versions of debian are you
> interested in?

A stable version like Lenny?

> I note that the script repeatedly requests superuser privileges (via
> sudo) -- this isn't something i'd normally test-run because of that, so
> i just did a read-through review
>
> > sudo apt-get source $PKG
>
> there's no need to run apt-get source as the superuser -- better to run
> it as the non-privileged account.

OK. thanks for the info.

> > sudo apt-get build-dep $PKG
>
> this is reasonable, but you might also want to make sure the host has
> the following packages installed for building most packages -- they're
> just handy to have around:
>
>   build-essential, fakeroot, devscripts, debhelper

That kind of check would be easy to add, thanks for the info.

> > sudo chown $ME:$ME $PKGVER-$DEBVER.diff.gz
> > sudo chown $ME:$ME $PKGVER.orig.tar.gz
> > sudo chown $ME:$ME $PKGVER-$DEBVER.dsc
> > sudo chown -R $ME:$ME $PKGVER2

o> these shouldn't be necessary if you run apt-get source as the regular user.

OK. that makes sense.

=Kev

--
|  .''`.  == Debian GNU/Linux == | http://kevix.myopenid.com      |
| : :' :     The Universal OS    | mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/ |