Re: [Debian-NYC] Welcome to the "DebianNYC" mailing list

* Yaroslav Halchenko <debian@onerussian.com> [071206 13:03]:
> That is great that a new list got born! I wondered though why such lists
> are not served directly by lists.debian.org. This would prevent
> unexpected death of the mailing list as long as Debian exists.
>
> I filed a bug

> "it would be very much appreciated if several other people interested in
> the new list would send a mail to the bug, in order to record their
> interest."

A couple reasons why I'm not hot on doing that:

. The Debian mailing lists are public forums. I can imagine people wanting
to convey personal data on this list that they do not want to be
archived/indexed for the world to see. For example if I were to invite
everyone over to my place for a party, I'm going to think twice about
sending the address and phone number to a public list.

. This list is setup and running finally, after various machinations to
resolve the problems. I had looked through the last month+ of available
archives in the previous list to look for addresses to send a CC list
around asking for ideas of where to host the list. Rachael volunteered
and the only other suggestion was Google Groups.

. This list is actually hosted and administered by someone located in NY

. I looked at lists.debian.org to see if there were any other social
lists and didn't find any.

. Your bug #454642 is for dug-nyc, aka Debian Users Group, which serves  a
different purpose of group than a social list, which this is.

That said, I think raising the profile of the list so other interested
Debian socialites can find it is a worthy goal and I think finding ways
to do that makes a lot of sense (wiki.debian.org comes to mind).

Micah