GSOC 19

Hello everyone,
I am Md Sahil, a 2nd year undergrad from Jadavpur University, studying Computer science and Engineering. I am not much of a developer, but a Linux enthusiast. I have been using Debian as my primary OS for more than 2 years now. I want to start contributing to it, and also want to take part in GSOC-19. I would like to know what are the skills that I should learn in order to start contributing and ensure my selection in GSOC-19.

PS : I know languages like c,c++,python. I am pretty familiar with Linux shell scripting.