Re: Meltdown, Spectre and Debian

at bottom :-

On 05/01/2018, Jonas Smedegaard <jonas@jones.dk> wrote:
> Quoting shirish शिरीष (2018-01-05 18:32:56)
>> While I don't want to be the paranoid one here, the situation here
>> seems to demand it.
>
> Seems to demand what? Discussing security at each and every Debian
> mailinglist, or only at this particular one?
>
> Either way, I disagree: Please discuss security at
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-security/
>

>  - Jonas
>
> --
>  * Jonas Smedegaard - idealist & Internet-arkitekt
>  * Tlf.: +45 40843136  Website: http://dr.jones.dk/
>
>  [x] quote me freely  [ ] ask before reusing  [ ] keep private

It seemed to me it demanded at least alerting the the members of the
Debian community and the local LUG . I didn't take it to 'each and
every mailing list' just to Debian and PLUG both communities to which
I have been a member of more than a decade.

There is another bit which I think you forgot. I do know for a fact
that there a good number of people who read posts either at PLUG
mailing list or the Debian mailing list. I dunno the reasons for it
but have seen it not just in freshers but also professionals having
decades of experience.

The people who are at debian-security already know this  and are
discussing it thread-bare.  I was waiting to see the news break in
national media but like always it didn't . I also waited for somebody
else to share it with the two communities and waited till the first
set of patches (i.e. the microcode) came out before sharing it.

<slightly OT> There is also a perception of quite a few people ,
either true or 'flawed' that talking about security is 'elitist' .
This might have to do with most Indians either
un-knowledge/uneducation of one's civil and privacy rights.

Neither Aadhar would have happened nor things like these

http://www.sify.com/finance/bengaluru-woman-s-shock-night-debit-card-fraud-and-a-fake-aadhar-card-news-bank-sbftHIibadfcc.html

<slightly OT>

And as far I can tell, it's not just to do with Debian but the whole
ecosystem and every goddamn OS and CPU on the planet.

I believe this course was at least a start,  people who are interested
to find the depth of the problem would sooner than later find their
own way but for most people they need the cause and some sort of
answer which I attempted to share with them.