Re: Report: Debian Packaging Workshop at COEP

Thanks Vasudev. I am hopeful students and colleges find these projects
appealing, besides packaging. My intent is to get more people aware of the
current state of Indic language in Free Software, and hopefully they pick it up.

Thanks for the links. I wasn't aware of libindic.

On Mon, 2017-01-09 at 10:28 +0530, Vasudev Kamath wrote:
> On 8 January 2017 at 23:55, Ritesh Raj Sarraf <rrs@researchut.com> wrote:
> > I don't recollect finding any such list, when I was running into problems
> > with
> > PDF. I remember talking to Vasudev and he suggested me your name, hoping you
> > may
> > have more insight into Fonts and PDF in general.
>

> Oh!. I'm not sure about what we discussed (I've forgotten probably),
> but I do remember recommending talking to Jonas on PDF stuffs. But not
> sure about Indian language support in PDF.
>
> Given the context I would like to bring into your notice, libindic
> project which I've been part from a very long time and which does not
> have much volunteers interested. [1] and specifically PDF rendering
> library we wrote [2]. [2] might not work right away as we need to fix
> few things like switching to cairoffi etc (recorded in issues). In
> general to render Indian languages in PDF it needs some work like
> adjusting the characters and placement which is done by [2]. If you
> are interested in getting fine details of the PDF rendering in Indian
> language you can contact Santhosh Thottingal (original author of
> libindic and pypdflib project).
>
> Oh we did participate in Gsoc last year and got really nice modules
> [3][4]. Transliterator does a very nice job of supporting Indian
> language transliteration. sandhi-splitter is currently only for
> Malayalam but if some one is interested they can add support for new
> language.
>

> [1] http://libindic.org/
> [2] https://github.com/libindic/pypdflib
> [3] https://github.com/libindic/indic-trans