Re: IRC Sessions on Debian Packaging

Hi,

[First of all, sorry for cross posting to different lists]

We are planning to conduct IRC sessions on Introduction to Debian Packaging starting this Saturday (28th November, 2015). The idea is to get people interested in contributing to Debian, by packaging the free softwares they use and love.

For learning purpose, we would be dealing with the packaging of Ruby gems that are needed to get two awesome free softwares into Debian - Diaspora and GitLab. We can also discuss about packaging other stuff, like softwares written in other languages, fonts etc once we are familiar with the basic concepts. We would be logging the session for future references and the logs would be made publicly accessible.

The details of the sessions are given below:

Time: 10:00 PM IST to 12:30 AM IST (May extend to about half hour based on the situation of the session)
Server: irc.oftc.net
Channel: #debian-diaspora
Requirements:
1. OS - Debian GNU/Linux preferred (Can handle even with Debian derivatives like Ubuntu). It would be better to have Debian Testing (Debian Jessie is also acceptable, but you may have to install newer versions of some packages) installed.
2. Working internet connection
3. Mind to learn and ask questions.

Note: If you are new to IRC, use this link http://webchat.oftc.net

So everyone interested to learn packaging and contribute to free software, do come online in IRC (and please be on time. :D ). Also, share this information widely and ask your peers to do the same.

Happy Hacking. :)

Quick reminder about today's session. Anyone interested, do join. :)