Re: Updates

Quoting Pirate Praveen (2014-09-04 15:14:36)
>> Having tennis as 1/3 of a programme for a football camp is... odd.
[non-funny joke snipped]
> Debian is a Free Software Operating system. tennis and football are
> two different games, Debian a collection of Free Software.

Football and tennis are two different sports.

Debian and e.g. Python are two different FOSS projects.

Yes, you can play tennis on a football field without caring about that,
or as you can hack on Python on a Debian system not caring about that.

>> For a conference (with main track being about Debian but) about FOSS
>> more generally and involving an entrance fee, I find it misleading to
>> label it as a MiniDebconf.
>>
>> Please use the term MiniDebconf only for Debian part of the
>> conference, and only if that part of the conference do not require
>> entrance fee.
>
> If you can point me to an official policy of debian about the content
> of a mini debconf, I would accept it.

I am unaware of an official policy for the use of the term "MiniDebconf"
- and apologize if I gave the impression that such exist or that I speak
in an official role on behalf of Debian as organisation.

As I believe I have stated several times in the past on this list, I
merely offer suggestions here.

> In debian, people who are doing the work gets to decide what
> suggestions to take or not, as long as it is within the limits set by
> the whole project like the social contract, constitution or specific
> policies.

...and makes sense.  Do silly things and others will ask you to please
not do so - whether or not it is written in Policy.

> I disagree with your point and I will support changing the name only
> if people who are helping organize the event agrees to your suggestion
> or we are violating any policies set by the project.

Don't do it because I say so - obviously only do what you feel is right.

 - Jonas