Re: DEP 17: Improve support for directory aliasing in dpkg

    Simon> You might reasonably say that "the maintainer of bar didn't
    Simon> add the correct Breaks/Replaces on foo" is a RC bug in bar -
    Simon> and it is! - but judging by the number of "missing
    Simon> Breaks/Replaces" bug reports that have to be opened by
    Simon> unstable users (sometimes me), it's a very easy mistake to
    Simon> make.

Is adding the correct breaks/replaces enough to solve things?
I could believe adding a versioned conflicts would be sufficient, but it
is not obvious to me that breaks/replaces is enough given that dpkg
doesn't understand aliasing.

My intuition (and I have not worked through this as much as you) is that
any time you can have files moving where both packages are unpacked can
create problems.
I think that can happen with breaks/replaces but not without a conflicts
(without replaces?)