[MBF] Obsoleting bzip2 compression in .deb packages

Hi!

I'd like to obsolete bzip2 (and lzma) as .deb compressors when building
binary packages. dpkg-deb currently emits warnings, this would turn them
into errors. For lzma it's fine in Debian as the archive has never
accepted them. For bzip2 there are currently 31 source packages that
produce some binary packages using that compressor:

<https://lintian.debian.org/tags/uses-deprecated-compression-for-data-tarball.html>

Unpacking *will* keep being supported for the forseeable future so that
we can examine old binaries, in the same way dpkg-deb still supports
format 0.939000.

I'm attaching the prospective dd-list, and the template bug report. I'd
like do the MBF in 1 or 2 weeks, and turn the warnings into errors in
the first dpkg release after 1 or 2 months from now. I'm easy if people
would like more or less time?

Thanks,
Guillem
"Adam C. Powell, IV" <hazelsct@debian.org>
   elmerfem (U)

Anibal Monsalve Salazar <anibal@debian.org>
   bsd-finger
   cgiemail
   debtree
   idle3-tools
   libbitmask
   libcpuset
   libevent
   libnet-daemon-perl
   libnfsidmap
   libtextwrap
   libx86
   mpack
   rdist
   rstatd

Bert Agaz <bertagaz@ptitcanardnoir.org>
   pycryptopp
   zfec

Boris Pek <tehnick@debian.org>
   elmerfem (U)

cento <ignorante@autistici.org>
   stl-manual

Christoph Martin <christoph.martin@uni-mainz.de>
   openssl-blacklist (U)

Debian Games Team <pkg-games-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>
   fretsonfire-songs-muldjord

Debian Python Modules Team <python-modules-team@lists.alioth.debian.org>
   markupsafe (U)
   pastescript (U)
   pastewebkit (U)

Debian QA Group <packages@qa.debian.org>
   cricket
   perl-byacc

Debian Science Maintainers <debian-science-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
   elmerfem

Debian Science Team <debian-science-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
   elmerfem

Jamie Strandboge <jamie@ubuntu.com>
   openssl-blacklist (U)
   openvpn-blacklist

Julián Moreno Patiño <darkjunix@gmail.com>
   ora2pg

Kees Cook <kees@debian.org>
   openssl-blacklist
   openvpn-blacklist (U)

Leo Costela <costela@debian.org>
   libevent (U)

LI Daobing <lidaobing@debian.org>
   pinyin-database

Matthew Johnson <mjj29@debian.org>
   fretsonfire-songs-muldjord (U)

Micah Anderson <micah@debian.org>
   pycryptopp (U)
   zfec (U)

Michael Vogt <mvo@debian.org>
   dvd+rw-tools (U)

Mikolaj Izdebski <zurgunt@gmail.com>
   lbzip2

Miriam Ruiz <little_miry@yahoo.es>
   fretsonfire-songs-muldjord (U)

Optical Media Tools Team <pkg-opt-media-team@lists.alioth.debian.org>
   dvd+rw-tools

Piotr Ożarowski <piotr@debian.org>
   markupsafe
   pastescript
   pastewebkit

Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br>
   dvd+rw-tools (U)

TANIGUCHI Takaki <takaki@debian.org>
   dvd+rw-tools (U)

Toby Smithe <tsmithe@ubuntu.com>
   fluid-soundfont

Hi!

This source package builds one or more binary packages using the
deprecated compressor bzip2. The default has been xz for a while now
which should usually compress better than bzip2. If instead you'd like
speed then switch to use gzip.

Using a deprecated compressor when building binary packages will
become an error in the near future. Please update the packages.

See also: <link to MBF thread>.

Thanks,
Guillem