Re: [proposal] use xz compression for Debian package by default

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 12:10:18PM +0900, Hideki Yamane wrote:
> conclusion (rest)
>  I recommend to use xz ***by default*** (with appropriate option) on not only
>  i386/amd64 but on ANY architectures. Increasing extract time can be ignore by
>  decreasing download time and its only part of installation as Mike Hommey
>  suggested "I/O is still more time consuming than CPU", and nothing worse than
>  high cpu usage.

Thanks for your detailed tests.

Wearing armel buildd maintainer hat, I agreei with the conclusion. 1.5x slower
decompression is small enough hit and as mentioned decompression is only a part of
package install time.

It is worth noticing that using xz by default will slow down package builds (especially
ones with huge -dbg packages, but we are already working on getting faster armel/armhf
build machines.

Riku