Does anybody know of the original motivations to have dpkg ?

Hi all,
    Does anybody know the original motivations for having dpkg and the
apt-tools. I do remember that Ian Murdock had some issues with rpm
(urpmi or whatever it was called circa '93-'94) either with dependency
conflict resolution or/and the updates/upgrades.

My google fu is not good at finding things which are over 10 years old
so any help would be appreciated. I want to use the info. for
presentation. The historical reference of dpkg in wikipedia is pretty
weak https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dpkg#History as it does not delve
why they wanted or had to use dpkg . I am not looking for dpkg vs rpm
or anything like that but more for understanding the reasons behind
it. Also want to use it in a presentation so people are aware of the
same.

For my part I did look at /usr/share/doc/dpkg as well as tried to
parse the listing of dpkg -L dpkg to see if there are any obvious
entries which tell about the early history of dpkg but was unable to
see/grep the same.

Any help on the same would be appreciated. I would also attempt to add
any info. to the wiki article as well so the next person does not have
to go through the same route.
--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल