Re: postinst corrupts my settings after a 'apt-get upgrade'.

Hi,

votdev@gmx.de wrote:

> Another szenario might be that i have installed service xyz but i have disabled
> it because i did not want to use it right now. If it is updated via a package
> update the default postinst behaviour is to register the init script in the
> runlevels and starts the daemon/app/whatever. This is not the behaviour i
> expect.
>
> I'm thinking wrong here or is this a problem in dpkg/APT?
>
> In my eyes the postinst script should check whether it is installed the first
> time or not.

This has nothing to do with dpkg or APT.  It has more to do with
Debian policy[1] --- from the point of view of dpkg, each package
provides its own postinst script with whatever behavior it chooses.

There have been a few discussions of this recently[2][3][4].

Hope that helps,
Jonathan

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html#s9.3.3
[2] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.devel.general/163640/focus=164342