Re: alternatives DB corruption

Hi Raphael

Am Mi, 20.07.2011, 12:16 schrieb Raphael Hertzog:

I've added a Cc: to the list.

> On Wed, 20 Jul 2011, Michael Neuffer wrote:
>> I have ad "db" file which seems to be corrupt and i can't figure out
>> what is wrong.
>
> The database file is corrupted. What did you do to corrupt it? Is there a
> reliable way to corrupt it?

Yes, by editing it by hand. :-)
I had to do it a few weeks earlier to remove
some alternatives that were corrupted by a broken package.
(Things that constantly using unstable can do to you...)

I had to edit and fix alternatives manually every now and then over the
past 15 years or so and never had (major) problems with that. Maybe I was
just lucky so far.

> It lacks lots of empty lines at the end. Each alternative should have a
> set of line like this:
> <masterfile>
> <priority>
> <slave-file-1>
> <slave-file-2>
> <slave-file-13>
>
> Yet your last alternative only has 4 lines:
> ----
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/mesa/ld.so.conf
> 500
>
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xorg/x11-extra-modules
> ----

Yes I removed them. I wasn't aware that they were significant.
The file format unfortunately isn't documented in the man page.

Is there a way to find out how many empty lines are missing where?

Cheers
    Mike