Re: sudo: prompts despite unmodified /etc/sudoers on upgrade

Hi,

On Tue, 08 Feb 2011, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> Bdale Garbee wrote:
> > The version of sudo in sid/experimental has switched to treating the
> > sudoers file as a standard Debian "conffile" instead of the former
> > ad-hoc approach to managing the file.

That's already the case for the version in unstable...

> > Given that there's no way for the sudo package to know what changes you
> > might have made to the existing sudoers file, I see no viable option
> > other than the prompting.

The point is precisely to deal with the case when the user has not made
any change. And for this you would have to move /etc/sudoers aside in
"preinst upgrade" if it matches the md5sum of an unmodified file.

And move it back in "postrm abort-upgrade" in case the upgrade is
interrupted. And drop the renamed file in "postinst configure" if the
upgrade went well and the new conffile got installed.

> An ideal solution would involve telling dpkg about the md5sum for the
> previously shipped version somehow, but I'm not aware of any
> interface for that.

There's no such interface currently.

But dealing with the scenario above could be a new feature of
dpkg-maintscript-helper.

Jonathan, do you feel like implementing this? :)

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

                      ▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)