Re: purge does not remove triggers?

Hi,

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011, Peter van Dijk wrote:
> in short: removing a package that has requested File triggers, does not
> remove those triggers from /var/lib/dpkg/triggers/File. Is this intended
> behaviour?

I also noticed this recently (with some test-suite work), and it's true
for named triggers as well.

I don't think it's intended behaviour. But up to now I was believing it
was not clean but had no other consequences.

> However, removing+purging menu does not remove those triggers. Is this
> intended behaviour? I'm asking because in a situation with a non-Debian
> package, I installed a version without trigger support after having used
> a package that did have trigger support. The trigger still being present
> in /var/lib/dpkg/triggers/File therefore caused errors in configuring
> said package.

You installed a version of menu without triggers support, is that what you
said?

Or are you referring to installation of another random package that
activated those triggers?

What were the errors that you saw?

> I'm looking forward to, in short, a yes or no answer, and in long,
> explanation of these two snippets. Thank you for your time.

To me, it means that the content of /var/lib/dpkg/triggers/* ought to be
updated during unpack or remove. In both cases a removal or a purge ought
to remove any mention of the triggers provided by the removed package.

Feel free to open a bug report for this.

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

                      ▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)