Re: Use of '""' overload in Dpkg::Interface::Storable

Hi Modestas,

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010, Modestas Vainius wrote:
> I suggest you dropping this overload as generally it might be very tricky and
> there is not much benefit over explicit method call. For example, if $storable
> was an object of Dpkg::Interface::Storable type 'if ($storable)' would trigger
> this overload. Probably use of 'defined' would help here to avoid it but it is
> far from obvious. There might be other cases and contexts where this overload
> is triggered pointlessly as well.

Please use the mailing list to discuss dpkg matters. At least we can get
some more feedback.

I honestly don't see a valid reason to remove the overload in your
argumentation. If it starts to cause some specific problems, we can either
fix the code or add a supplementary overload in the problematic object
(the "bool" one in your case).

Raphaël Hertzog

Like what I do? Sponsor me: http://ouaza.com/wp/2010/01/05/5-years-of-freexian/
My Debian goals: http://ouaza.com/wp/2010/01/09/debian-related-goals-for-2010/