Re: Recording VCS information in the source package info

Hi James,

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010, James Westby wrote:
> I would therefore propose two new fields that would be optional in a
> .dsc file, and possibly the Sources file, but not debian/control as they
> are derived data. They would be:
>
>   * Vcs-*-revision: A string meaningful to the Vcs that was used that
>     refers to the revision that the package was built from.
>
>   * Vcs-*-tree: Some sort of hash of the tree contents that were built,
>     as it's possible that the contents were modified from the contents
>     of the revision that was checked out. This could either be a
>     Vcs-native thing, or some sort of abstracted hash, I'm not sure.
>
> I'm not sure what the best way to access this information when building
> the package is, you would be able to state that better than me.

Right now, dpkg-dev building tools are mostly VCS-agnostic (I would like
this to change, by providing a generic vcs-buildpackage) and the only
solution to add those fields is to pass -D parameters to the dpkg-source
call.

Thus supporting this currently means modifying
svn-buildpackage/git-buildpackage/bzr-buildpackage, etc.

That said I like the principle of the idea.

I'm not sure that VCS-*-tree is needed though, why not simply adding some
sort of "dirty" marker in the VCS-*-revision field? What would the
supplementary hash be useful for?

Raphaël Hertzog