trigger processing

I've noticed triggers being invoked repeatedly during upgrades rather
than once at the end, as they are supposed to.  I started looking at
/var/log/dpkg.log to try and figure out why.  I was wondering, does a
record like this:

2010-10-29 10:50:17 startup archives unpack

Indicate that a new invocation of dpkg has happened?  Because if so, I
see a startup, followed by various upgrade and status changes, often
with a triggers-pending status, then a trigproc.  This cycle repeats
throughout the upgrade, so it looks to me like apt is running dpkg many
times on small batches of packages, resulting in any triggers being
executed at the end of the batch, rather than pending until after all
other packages have been upgraded.  Does this sound reasonable?

Is this a known bug or misconfiguration in apt?  The system I've been
investigating this on today is running Ubuntu and was upgraded from
karmic to lucid, but I'm pretty sure I have always seen this multiple
trigger behavior, including on my desktop at home now running maverick.