Re: Pre-approval request for dpkg sync() changes for squeeze

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010, Andreas Barth wrote:
> * Phillip Susi (psusi@cfl.rr.com) [101025 17:00]:
> > On 10/24/2010 1:20 PM, Andreas Barth wrote:
> > > I quite often run dpkg installs / upgrades in pbuilder ramdisks. If
> > > the sync could be reduced to only that ramdisk, everything would be
> > > fine.
> >
> > That's exactly the environment where you would disable syncing entirely
> > since you don't care if the pbuilder chroot becomes corrupted if the
> > system crashes; you will just rebuild it from the tarball anyhow.
>
> So, what is the appropriate configuration setting for dpkg, and where
> are the bug reports for our usual tools to auto-set it correct? If
> there is none, this argument is moot.

This request made to the release team is precisely about allowing us to
introduce a new dpkg option that can be used to disable syncing despite
being this late in the release cycle.

Until this request is accepted it's difficult to file bug reports asking
people to use the option. I expect at least d-i would want to use this
option by default.

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer ◈ [Flattr=20693]

                      ▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)