Re: Bug#504880: Disambiguate "installed" for packages
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cc: email@example.com
- Subject: Re: Bug#504880: Disambiguate "installed" for packages
- From: Russ Allbery <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 11:53:44 -0700
- Message-id: <email@example.com>
- In-reply-to: <20100730121330.GA5494@rivendell> (Raphael Hertzog's message of "Fri, 30 Jul 2010 14:13:31 +0200")
- References: <20081107191318.GK10451@riva.ucam.org> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <20100730121330.GA5494@rivendell>
Raphael Hertzog <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
> On Mon, 26 Jul 2010, Russ Allbery wrote:
>> The <prgn>DEBIAN</prgn> directory will not appear in the
>> file system archive of the package, and so won't be installed
>> - by <prgn>dpkg</prgn> when the package is installed.
>> + by <prgn>dpkg</prgn> when the package is unpacked.
> Technically, it's unpacked: not in /DEBIAN but in /var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/
> and then moved to /var/lib/dpkg/info/package.* at the end of the unpack
> phase but it's probably not worth pointing out in policy (or only as a
Is this true of all files in the control.tar.gz other than DEBIAN/control,
even ones unknown to dpkg? Or does dpkg have an enumerated list of files
that it does this with? It does seem like it would be worth documenting
/var/lib/dpkg/info somewhere non-normative.
Russ Allbery (email@example.com) <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>