Re: dpkg feature implementation

Hi!

On Tue, 2010-01-05 at 18:59:40 +0530, dE . wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 6:32 PM, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
> > You super-package is a called an APT repository on a DVDROM. Using those
> > DVD is easy ("apt-cdrom add" and you're done).
> >
> > DVD are generated so that they contain all dependencies of all the
> > packages that they contain (when multiple DVD are involved, the #1 can be
> > used standalone, the #2 can only require packages in #1 and so on).

> Problem is you have to make these DVD/CD, or in general storage media.
> Windows people are not willing to do that...they just want click and
> install.

Someone would have to make those super deb packages too, and carrying
them on the mirrors is not really feasible, it would duplicate huge
amounts of data. Even creating fewer from a subset of the distribution
would be problematic, who would choose which ones are worth it, and
what if the user needs one that's missing?

So if a more savvy person has to create such super debs anyway for
those users, they can as well just create a repository and place it in
a usb stick or CD/DVD. I don't really see the need to invent more
stuff.

regards,
guillem