Re: dpkg list-file performance

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009, David Benjamin wrote:
> From what I can tell, dpkg's primary operations to the list-files do
> not correspond to "given a package, what did it install"? The
> current implementation will often read in everything, which *.list
> is bad at. The point of reading them all in seems to often be for
> findnamenode() to work. In which case, what we actually want is the
> "given a file, what package(s) installed it" query. *.list are not
> very good at that either.

--install will also install a new .list file and updating a single big
file containing the full list of files would not be very efficient when
done multiple times in a single apt-get run.

I also remember some experimental work of Sean Finney who put a cache in
a sqlite db. You might be interested to look up in Google and/or in the
BTS if you can find out this old patch.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog