Re: feature: to add explanations of recommendations and suggestions dependencies

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 08:57:24PM +0100, Adeodato Simó <dato@net.com.org.es> was heard to say:
> * Shachar Or [Sun, 10 Aug 2008 18:36:35 +0300]:
>
> > I am not suggesting this data will be put in with the package's description,
>
> Why not? I think (briefly) explaining some of the most relevant
> recommends and suggests is a perfect use of the description space. And
> if more verbosity is needed, that information should go into the
> README.Debian file in my opinion.

  The thing is that the Description field is not machine-parseable.
If aptitude, for instance, knew about the purpose of a Recommends,
it could indicate this to the user at convenient places in the UI
where the Description might not be visible (and without requiring
the user to hunt for the recommendation in the Description).

  Daniel