Re: git-style file storage for .deb

Zenaan Harkness <zen@freedbms.net> writes:

> I'm wondering whether someone has the technical know-how to do a
> comparison, eg. between a couple of Debian or other distribution
> versions - as it, how many files are shared for example between say
> Ubuntu 7.10 and 8.04.

There would be no saving for most architectures and doubtfull that
there is much for binaries as they depend on the gcc used to build.

So you are left with shared files which are usualy small. Larger
shared data is also in arch:all packages which a minor chunk compared
to the archs added together.

Further more file are in different locations in different
distributions making it hard to delat the right files against each
other.

So percentage wise and for debian you can't expect much savings.

But look at a different scenario: sid updates.

Some sid packages are build frequently, meaning the same compiler is
used. Libraries also don't change so much. That should give you a much
better delta compared to other distributions. Also arch:all packages
are rebuild for every source upload but are probably near identical.

So if you want to pursue this then rather look into that than across
distributions.

MfG
        Goswin