Re: new source package format in dpkg-dev

Hi,

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> I'm also considering a solution where dpkg-source will auto-apply the
> quilt patches before building the source package. If I don't see a .pc
> directory and if I have no sign that dpkg-source applied them at
> extraction time (by checking some stamp file like
> debian/patches/.dpkg-source-applied) and if I have a series file, then
> applying them all is in order.

This is now done in the git repo. I've built an updated dpkg-dev.deb
here:
http://people.debian.org/~hertzog/packages/dpkg-dev_1.14.18_all.deb

Feel free to try. We should now able to rebuild all packages with the new
source package format and the rebuilt package shoud work in all cases.

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > By the way, debdiff will have to be made smarter because the current
> > version generates noisy diffs which include the interdiff against
> > upstream, the files being patched in their entirety, plus the
> > generated patch.  For example between the two source packages below
> > I just ran "sed -i '10,20d' README" (and "dch -i foo"):
>
> That's right. Adding an option "--skip-patches" to avoid applying them at
> unpack time can be useful for a tool like debdiff. I'll add this option.

This option has also been added in the master branch of the git repo.

Raphaël Hertzog