Re: Splitting dselect from dpkg -- acceptable plan?

On Mon April 16 2007 11:49, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> My plan for dselect is to make dselect more fully based on apt, which
> should incidentally allow the removal/replacement of much of that
> code; but to add the build-deps needed, dselect has to become an
> independent package *first*.
>
> Is this an acceptable future path for dselect?

I hope you don't mean to have dselect rely on apt, as in if apt breaks
we need to resort to manually downloading and installing stuff. Having
multiple independent bits of code able to access the archives is a good
thing.

Other than that, it sounds like a good idea.

[jumping the gun a bit...]
I would like to see dselect adopt a position between dpkg and apt wrt
functionality. i.e., "friendly" access to dpkg's ability to control
and "tweaking" of apt's convenience.

- Bruce