Re: Suggesting new method to handle dpkg diversions

Frank Küster writes ("Re: Suggesting new method to handle dpkg diversions"):
> The problems that I have run into with diversions is that some random
> package diverted a file in my package.  I had no idea this was the case
> until I got a bug report because my package failed to configure with
> that diverted file in place.

I don't think you should divert something without talking to the other
package maintainer.  Having packages play core wars on the user's
system is not the right answer.

Perhaps this should be made clearer in policy, but it seems obvious to
me: if you're going to mess with someone's package you should talk to
them about it !

> This might be mainly a social problem.  But if there was a possibility
> to list diverted files distribution-wide (similar to
> http://www.de.debian.org/distrib/packages#search_contents), it might
> help.

Indeed.

Ian.