Re: Using GNU's install-info in Debian instead of dpkg's install-info

Hi Ian!

On Sam, 27 Mai 2006, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> One more thing: the longer this thread gets, the more I think that the
> original bug is in fact the inclusion of i-i in dpkg.

Yup.

> dpkg is a large and crucially important package, and that means the
> maintainers always have something more urgent to do than fixing i-i.  We

This is something I understand.

> should move it into the info package and make the postinstall code
> conditional on info being installed.

Or create a new package install-info? This was suggested before,
together with an adjustment of Priority.

BUT: It is ok if we move this here, but I am not the principal author of
the Debian i-i, and I cannot do much about it than package it. Solutions
to this mess from my side can come only by getting a differnet approach,
ie doing the creating stuff inside GNU i-i.

Anyway, how do we proceed? Move it into a new package in texinfo? And
who will care for the bugs ;-)

Best wishes

Norbert

POLLOCH (n.)
One of those tiny ribbed-plastic and aluminium foil tubs of milk
served on trains enabling you to carry one safely back to you
compartment where your legs in comfort trying to get the bloody things
open.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff