Re: Using GNU's install-info in Debian instead of dpkg's install-info

Hi all!

On Fre, 26 Mai 2006, Karl Berry wrote:
> If you want to require it for Debian, that's fine, of course, and it can
> be an option or whatever in I-I.  I can imagine many people would like
> it.  But, at least in the form I'm envisioning, I don't think it should
> be the default for GNU.

I would say that it is up to Karl as upstream to decide what is the
way install-info works.

The already proposed solution to work in either of the two modes is for
sure the perfect solution. If Debian decides to rewrite dh_installinfo
to use always GNU I-I in the regenerate-mode, so may it be, and if
Karl/RMS or whoever decides that for the GNU System I-I continues to use
the parse-and-include approach, also good.

But if we want this, do we need a merge at all???

Couldn't Debian write something like
	update-info-dir
and dh_installinfo does in fact nothing besides putting the info files
into the right directory and adds a call to update-info-dir to the
postinst script.

THe funtion update-info-dir would kill the current dir file, and call
GNU install-info for every info file present. This way we would be sure
that nobody messes up the dir file. And if, then it was GNU I-I.

Advantage:
- nothing big to program
- there is only one install-info in Debian, not dpkg-II and GNU-II

Disadvantage
- we have to get rid of this regexp option
- rebuild of all packages using info files?

Suggestions?

> Norbert was originally proposing (are you even seeing this mail any
> more, Norbert?), even if the whole world can't be fixed at the same

Of course.

Best wishes

Norbert

There are of course many problems connected with life, of
which some of the most popular are `Why are people born?'
Why do they spend so much of the
intervening time wearing digital watches?'
                 --- The Book.