Re: Status of install-info

Hello Ian,

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 10:14:17PM -0700, you wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am also quite frustrated with the bugs in install-info and the
> continuing fork.  But I really don't like the GNU version either (it
> seems to still do nothing about aligning the descriptions, for
> instance),

I don't know if it's a bug or if it should be handled by the presentation
software (info). In any case, the GNU developpers will want to fix this if
it is a bug.

> and two way merging of the stregths of both will be a pain.
> I think the right solution is to have some kind of database (see below)
> to hold the section structure and then a pure 'presentation' program
> maybe /usr/sbin/update-info-dir or similar generates the dir file from
> the complete up-to-date structural data.
>
> Now, the dpkg package can't use almost any database library because
> it's so high in the dependency chain.  But there's no good reason why
> install-info must be in dpkg?  info package is priority important,
> install-info doesn't have to be anything higher than that.  So we
> could use libdb (required) for the database.
>
> Another possiblity to hold the structure is a XML file.
> Unfortunately perl is only standard now.  Hmm, I heard somebody
> was on a campaign to make python important or better?  That would
> help a lot, python has great XML support.

You must also keep in mind that if you want it for Etch, it will have to
be done before the end of July. I do think that implementing the missing
options in the GNU's install-info will be faster.

> Nicolas, let me know if you're still interested in this task
> (or perhaps already working on it).  Let's rid Debian of this PITA.

I'm still interrested. You may also want to check these threads:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-dpkg/2006/05/msg00002.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-dpkg/2006/05/msg00061.html

Your help is also welcomed.

Kind Regards,