ChangeLog vs debian/changelog

Can someone explain to me why we have two changelogs in the dpkg tree
containing almost exactly the same information ?  I'm referring to
dpkg-.../ChangeLog and dpkg-.../debian/changelog.

This seems to me to be an error-prone and wasteful practice.  There
should be one canonical changelog, and there is nothing wrong with
that being debian/changelog.  Having two will result in some changes
being recorded in only one of the two files.

I think ChangeLog should be removed and replaced with a pointer to
debian/changelog.

Regards,
Ian.