Re: Fwd: Ongoing saga of upgrading my old Woody

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> A very confused user seeking help.  This does not appear to be something
> easily solved by the debian-user crowd.

disk issues, or memory issues.

If both apt and dpkg are having problems with the status file, then this is
the only logical cause.

(dpkg mmap's the status file, and if an io error occurs, it shows up as a bus
error.  I've been thinking about not doing the mmap, and just using a large
buffer).